The Brexit of Trump and the Trumpery of it all

So, Donald Trump has been talking a lot on Twitter, of course, and other places about the similarity between the Brexit vote and his candidacy for president.

I agree. The same type of people who voted for Brexit in the UK seem to be the same type of people who are supporting Trump here in the US (I’ll leave it up to you to determine what that “type” is). However, I believe the biggest similarities between Brexit and the Trump phenomenon will be in the consequences of each. We are seeing already the devastation Brexit is wreaking upon the world…

Sadly, I believe the consequences of a Trump presidency will be even worse… much, much worse.

To quote my good friend Mellow Curmudgeon:

There’s an oldish word (used more in the 1700-s than nowadays) that my dictionary defines as “something showy but worthless” and traces back to an old French word for deceiving or cheating. The word is “trumpery” and it is ready for a comeback.

I concur.

#ABT
#anybodybuttrump
#friendsdontletfriendsdrivedrunkorvotefortrump

This entry was posted in Politics and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to The Brexit of Trump and the Trumpery of it all

1. Joy Pixley says:

I had forgotten about “trumpery” and I agree: time to bring that word back into circulation.

2. The problem is that he’ll probably turn it into a positive word for his campaign.

3. I concur also. I want to thank you, Kurt, for your recent commentaries on the elections. Arianna Huffington coined a term today to describe the Dump Trump movement: Trexit. Has a nice ring to it, I believe. Keep on speaking the truth.

4. cindy knoke says:

Trump is just too trumped up! We need to find his plug and let out all his hot gas.

5. needhamb says:

I think Trump is great. He’s the only candidate that hasn’t lived off of me his whole life, and he’s the only candidate that actually did “build that”. I hope he wins and brings back jobs, and curtails the ever expanding welfare state.

• Wow. It amazes me that anyone can support him. I’m sorry you do.

• needhamb says:

I may be older than you. The Clintons lie like we breathe. Also I don’t have a socialist bone in my body. No politician bought and sold by the donors, that’s both sides, will ever concern themselves with American jobs. The media is totally owned by the Democrats and defend whatever they say. They lie and it’s easy to check. Trump has a chance to break the cycle and care about American jobs. I care about my neighbors not those that want to control every aspect of my life.
        But best wishes to you.

• The Clintons are the political devils we know. Trump’s politics we know nothing about because he would say or do or support any party to further himself. We do know as a business executive he would lie and cheat and take middle income families’ money without care only to increasing his personal fortune. If you care about your neighbors truly then you shouldn’t want to be responsible for supporting such a devil that the majority of the world fears. If he is president, there will be disaster, both domestically and internationally to our nation’s finances and our reputation. He will do more damage to us than George W. Bush… and that was massive. I’m sorry, needhamb but you are wrong.

• needhamb says:

We will have to disagree. I agree that Bush did damage, but Obama continued it. Do you support him? To me, that would be blind.
            Also you really have no idea how Trump would be. None of us are omniscient. We’ll have to see who’s wrong.
            Again, best wishes to you.

• Well, I don’t think we will. I believe we are smart enough as a nation to not vote for Trump. Obama saved us from the devastation that Bush brought down on us. Bush and his incompetence and administration’s lies began the divisiveness that we are suffering from now. It is a matter of record how better off we are now under Obama than when Bush left office. Not even close. I wish I could vote for Obama again. The facts are out there should you choose to see them.

• needhamb says:

Wow! Now that is wild. You are right the facts are out there.

• What, specifically, is wild?

• needhamb says:

That you would actually vote for Obama again. He’ll go down as the worst president ever. Continued everything Bush did and more, but Bush you hate and Obama you like. Inexplicable for anyone that looks at “the facts.”

• Bush caused the Great Recession. Obama got us out of it. Bush caused one of the worst foreign policy blunder ever with the Iraq War. Obama got us out of it, saved the auto industry, and has given us an economy that is by far outperforming all the other industrialized nations. Bush nearly ruined the health care system by changing the rules that took away Big Pharma’s incentive to make the drugs we need and created a scarcity in cancer-fighting drugs among others. Obama has given us Obamacare and our health care system is on its way to vast improvements and cost savings. I can go on and on. You can keep responding with the spin others tell you and I will go on and on with the facts.

Your turn.

• needhamb says:

Accusations are childish. We will not agree on any of what you wrote. I will not counter you again since it is too difficult for you to entertain a different opinion without venom.

• Venom? And why are accusations childish? Because they make you feel childish? And what accusations are you referring to? And should I assume these questions are all in vain because you’re unwillingness to counter? Typical of what I find with Trump supporters, I’m sad to say. All are bully with their opinions and support, mostly through the posting of nasty, unthinking memes, and rarely do any engage in extended dialogue because they are unable to articulate their support with their own thinking. Peace out.

• needhamb says:

Bully? Do you actually read what you write when you disagree with someone? Go back and read all that we’ve written, listen to your bullying. No one bullies you. Your doing it and that is “typical” of today’s liberals. I made a simple disagreement. You could have said, like a grown-up, “Well, we see things differently.” And let it go. It was just part of a conversation. But no, you went on the attack. Read all of your remarks. Attacks, since you don’t know what they are, such as “spin”, “typical”, just because you disagree. You demean people. That is just like Obama and it is childish.

• So, if what I and Obama say is demeaning to you, what are the things Trump says about Mexicans or women or anyone who doesn’t lick his boots? Appealing to you? Trump is a racist, misogynistic, xenophobe. If you support him and his positions, then you must agree with his beliefs. I am far from being a liberal. I just think Trump is toxic. And if someone supports him and his toxic positions, then I will take all the liberties I need to make my point while that someone, like you, keeps coming back to my site to comment. It seems that most who come here either agree with the things I’m saying. You are definitely in the minority here. I’ll give you that, at least you have the wherewithal to stand up for your racist, globally unliked, joke of a candidate. As long as you keep coming here to be the adult and counter my childish points, I will keep childishly responding. For some reason you keep coming back to my site. I wonder why…

• Arthur says:

I don’t think Trump is better than the Clintons though. The Clintons may have lied but I think that when Bill was in office he did a pretty good job. Frankly I don’t care who he slept with.

• Yes, Hillary lies. All pols lie. She lies LESS than is typical nowadays, while Trump lies MUCH MORE. For details, see

• Trump did live off U (by gaming bankruptcy and tax laws), as well as off the people he swindled at Trump University. His “plans” to bring back jobs are just standard supply-side drivel: cut taxes for rich people and stop trying to restrain fraud and pollution.

6. EMA says:

As someone who voted to leave I’m offended at such assumptions that you can casually assume that 16 million people who wanted to leave would also be similar to people who would vote for Trump. The idea is utterly preposterous and idiotic. To tar every single person with the same brush is exactly what is wrong with the fallout from this referendum. I’m not racist, xenophobic, right wing or insular nor do I hate Europe and Europeans but I do believe that we should have far more control over our country than we do. I can guarantee you that if I was American I would never vote for Trump or any Republican.

• Blame Trump. I didn’t send out those tweets of his. He’s the one who has made the comparison. And just by a few of the comments from Brits left on my site, it seems some do also see the similarities. I’ll have to take your word that you are not of the “type” who would be a Trump supporter but unfortunately, Trump thinks you are.

7. Rajiv says:

Trump would be a scary President

8. Mary says:

I am not a Trump fan or anything, but I don’t think every person who voted leave is a Trump supporter.
    Or hates immigrants. I live in Europe and I understand that the Britisch people wanted to leave. Europe right now, is not working. Even the people in Brussel admit that there are things that need to change. I can only hope that Europe will become a better place to live in.

9. Pingback: Trump is using BREXIT as Campaign Stratergy – Cultured ID

10. Pingback: An Obligation Toward Intolerance | RELATING TO HUMANS

11. People who have trumped up fears about minorities, will naturally let their emotions trump logic and vote Trump.

12. Finn Potter says:

Coming from the UK, I agree that there is a link but even to most people who voted for Brexit Donald Trump is scarily carzy!

13. twoifbycharm says:

Hi. Good article and some interesting comments. I’ve done quite a bit of writing on how a person like Trump (likely a sociopath) can rise to power, and invite you to take a look at my post. https://twoifbycharmwordpress.wordpress.com/ Again, thanks. B-

14. piper22blog says:

what an idiot
    i fell bad for america

15. BklynVoyage says:

So…. Elections? The Most Important Recap – feel-in-it

16. For the last 40 years or so, it appears that politicians have had an exceptionally difficult time exercising control, and the results are to be seen everywhere, from the skies of New York, to the beaches of Calais. Democracy is, in fact, Plutocracy, a farce, an anti-democratic system that serves corporate power structures, at the expense of the ninty nine percent. Love, reduced, hallowed out, and in 21st century terms, is tantamount to nothing more than something facebookers and instagramers share in cyberspace. Music has become the echo-chamber of decadent values, a place where we can hear, and see, the most narcissistic interpretations of reality reflected back at us in repetitive sounds, and, of course, in images of half naked, half drugged, hammer-licking popstars. It all smacks of a fakeness, hinted at by Curtis, which severely saturates our everyday lives. Yet, do not do despair! Because through this weird and terrible, contradictory barrage of information and images, we occasionally encounter hidden gems, in this instance, the works of Curtis.

Except from my article on Hypernormalisation:

To Trump, or not to Trump?

17. LadyRedot says:

Great Article with great insights

18. The rise of Trump (more importantly the movement he represents), and the Brexit shows a worldwide movement of these similar ideas and themes. Major one which I think everyone can agree with, even if they don’t agree with Trump or Brexit (which I don’t support either), is that business as usual, greedy politics has worn everyone so thin.

19. kertsen says:

Devastation is well over the top if you want to see devastation go over to Syria. When people see a possible threat to their lifestyles they react because what they want all the time is improvement. This hardly surprising since improvement and progress are the modern mantra.
    We see human nature at work everywhere migrants throw others out of the boat , they fight to get through the fences and barriers set up to protect other humans. Learned men pontificate about Christian values and they are fine for the comfortable but when the chips are down it’s survival we were created for. We are so bent on maintaining our easy lives we chose to ignore imminent danger as the weather worsens and bacteria become more and more resistant. Men like Donald Trump understand human nature much better than most university professors.

20. Pingback: The Brexit of Trump and the Trumpery of it all — RELATING TO HUMANS – Welcome to my Page

21. The difference is that Brexit is for ever and you can at least vote Trump out next time ( unless he changes the rules!)

22. This was a really interesting view on Brexit and Trump and the linkages between them, thanks for writing!

I’ve just written a piece from the UK perspective you can read here:

23. wakingup353 says:

https://wakingup353.wordpress.com Hi guys, I wrote some thoughts on these matters. Please have a look.